don’t be evil?…do the right thing?
supreme justice oliver wendell holmes famously opined that “the most stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man in falsely shouting fire in a theatre and causing a panic.” schenck v. united states, 249 U.S. 47 (1919.)
since 1919, the united states have encountered many panic filled moments including the japan’s attack on pearl harbor, riots, massive forest fires. earthquakes, the 9-11 terrorist attacks, and the covid-19 pandemic.
youtube and their partners, youtubers, work in concert on the platform to draw viewers and having them consume the content. viewer consumption leads to advertising and subscription revenue.
youtubers, in order to grow and monetize their youtube channel, must embark in self-promotion. outrageous shock or prank videos litter the platform. dangerous stunts such as consuming mass quantities of food is just one example.
in new york, a youtuber malik sanchez’ conduct finally caught up to him. he pled guilty to livestreaming “himself terrorizing outdoor diners in manhattan.” dailymail.com. he faces criminal sentencing.
it is reported that after the stunt, the following was said ‘yo, all of them scattered,’ he said. ‘holy s*** boys. that was f***ing five stars. that was five stars.’ dailymail.com
this statement is damning towards youtube. mr. sanchez understood that his outrageous conduct was going to be beneficial for him gaining viewership, fame and revenue. according to the reports, the clip of the event was on his official youtube channel but has been removed. youtube, however, while it was up, had the opportunity to profit the criminal activity. youtube is arguably the unindicted co-conspirator to the crime. this act was particularly horrifying to the customers as new york was a site where part of the 9-11 terrorist attacks occurred.
thus, we now circle back to google. google partners, youtubers, are, for the benefit of google, are engaged in criminal activity. a large number of criminal activities can be labeld as evil. terrorizing restaurant customers with a bogus death threat is evil.
from the account of the incident, google arguably inspired and enabled mr. sanchez to perform the criminal and evil act. they afforded him the platform and the platform’s technology to allow for him to “live stream” the crime and evil act in progress.
in the long run, however, google is laughing all the way to the bank. they are making revenue off of searches for “malik sanchez” and the viewing of content related to “malik sanchez.” video content reporting or condemning mr. sanchez’ conduct will also generate revenue for them. thus, google’s role in this sad event may have benefited the company.
if google really wishes to act in a manner that is “doing the right thing” they should perhaps invite individuals to meet with them to challenge their handling of these matters. malik sanchez’ demise should cause them to painfully reflect as to whether they should even have corporate principals. after all, why be a hypocrite?
if you would like to read more posts, click here.
if you find this post meaningful, please share
if you enjoyed this post, please like
for the purposes of creating video content, mr. malik sanchez pled guilty to the act of
Manhattan incel, 19, faces five years in jail for pretending to be a SUICIDE BOMBER at Flatiron restaurant and screaming ‘Allahu Akbar!’ at customers for YouTube stunt
- Malik Sanchez, 19, has pleaded guilty to terrorizing outdoor diners at a Manhattan eatery earlier this year
- Sanchez pleaded guilty Friday to carrying out a hoax bomb threat on Valentine’s Day weekend – he will be sentenced in February
- A livestreamed video showed him approaching an outdoor seating area in front of the restaurant saying ‘Let’s enhance their meal’
- He then loudly stated that a bomb was about to go off near a table where two women sat
- The two women appear startled, gathered their belongings and fled inside
- Four others in the seating area nearby also grabbed their things and ran
- Sanchez, jailed for one month, has since been released to home confinement
- His lawyer believes Sanchez will be receive a custodial sentence of several months but he could face up to five years in jail
PUBLISHED: 00:39 EST, 13 November 2021 | UPDATED: 03:49 EST, 13 November 2021
A teenager who livestreamed himself terrorizing outdoor diners in Manhattan by pretending to be a suicide bomber faces five years in jail.
Malik Sanchez, 19, entered a guilty plea at Manhattan federal court to conveying false and misleading information and hoaxes on Friday, over the February incident outside a Flatiron restaurant.
He shouted ‘Allahu Akbar! during the frightening incident, which saw two women flee back into the restaurant as Sanchez warned he was two minutes off blowing them up. Dailymail.co.uk: News, Sport, Showbiz, Celebrities from Daily MailPauseNext video0:00 / 0:00Full-screenRead Morehttps://5dc2541d2ff2b6ec000386f0647b2fe5.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-38/html/container.html
He will be sentenced next February.
The drama began when the online pest posted a video to his YouTube channel on February 13th that showed him loudly stating that a bomb was about to go off near a table where two women were sitting eating a meal. +9
Malik Sanchez, 19, has pleaded guilty to terrorizing outdoor diners at a Manhattan eatery earlier this year+9
A livestreamed video showed him approaching an outdoor seating area in front of the restaurant saying ‘Let’s enhance their meal’
‘Let’s enhance their meal,’ he suggested as he positioned himself close to diner’s table.
Prosecutors said Sanchez loudly said: ‘Allahu Akbar. Allahu Akbar. ‘Bomb detonation in two, in two minutes. I take you with me and I kill all you,’ he yelled.
The women quickly jumped up from their table and fled with several other diners sitting nearby.
‘Allahu Akbar. Allahu Akbar. Bomb detonation in two, in two minutes. I take you with me and I kill all you. I kill all you right now. And I kill all you for Allah. F***, f*** that s***. I’m gonna Allah. I’m gonna do it. I’m gonna f*****g do it for Allah. I’m gonna do it, for, Allah, Allah, Allahu Akbar, Come on. I do it, bomb now, bomb now,’ he said.
All-the-while, Sanchez could be heard laughing having been egged on by viewers to his live-streamed video – some of whom even paid him cash tips. +9
He then loudly stated that a bomb was about to go off near a table where two women sat+9
The two women appear startled, gather their belongings and fled inside
‘Yo, all of them scattered,’ he said. ‘Holy s*** boys. That was f***ing five stars. That was five stars.’
At least one person called 911. By the time police had responded to the scene, Sanchez was nowhere to be found, but he had left video incident of his sick joke online.
That clip has since been removed from his official channel, although it remains on other news reports about the incident.
‘As alleged, Malik Sanchez perpetrated a hoax bomb threat at a Manhattan restaurant that frightened innocent victims, sowed chaos, and diverted precious law enforcement resources,’ Manhattan U.S. Attorney Audrey Strauss said during a court hearing in May.
Sanchez has made a number of disturbing videos all of which are posted to his YouTube channel.+9
The women didn’t spend any time waiting around to see what would happen and ran inside
On another one from earlier this year he could be seen yelling at two women walking down the street staying he had ‘incel rage’. He was also filmed using anti-Semitic language, and shouting the n-word at two young black women out walking close to Washington Square Park.
He also stated he was a supporter of Elliot Rodger, a man who is credited with starting the incel movement. It stands for ‘involuntary celibate,’ and is comprised of men who consider themselves too unattractive to find a partner. Rodger murdered six women including two from a sorority house in California in 2014.
Sanchez stated Rodger’s victims ‘deserved to be run over and hit by a truck. They deserved to be slaughtered.’
Sanchez self-identifies as an ‘involuntary celibate’ or ‘incel,’ a mostly online group of individuals, primarily men, who believe society unjustly denies them sexual or romantic attention, prosecutors say.+9
The women got up and ran away from from the table where they were sitting+9
Four other individuals in the seating area nearby also grabbed their things and ran away+9
The women ran inside the restaurant to escapeSanchez’s harassment
Incels have been responsible for at least five deadly attacks in the United States and Canada since 2014, resulting in 28 deaths, the prosecutions’ complaint noted
Many of his videos, which often last for several hours at time, see him approaching random strangers in the street, often young women, and insulting them to their face.
Sanchez will often follow his subjects for several blocks at a time while continuing to stalk his subjects, emboldened by followers on YouTube who donate money for him to carry out further acts of irritation.
He had been arrested in the past for scaling the Queensboro Bridge and pepper spraying at least five people during other livestreamed stunts.
Sanchez pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct for scaling the bridge which was he livestreamed last year.
Federal Defender Clay Kaminsky said Sanchez was ‘an attention-seeking 19-year-old’ in need of help. +9
Sanchez pleaded guilty Friday to carrying out a hoax bomb threat on Valentine’s Day weekend – he will be sentenced in February
At a court hearing in May, Judge Colleen McMahon released him to home confinement three weeks after his arrest, saying she had watched the video.
‘The first thing I thought was, this is a kid who needs to be seeing a psychiatrist, this is somebody who needs mental health counseling,’ McMahon said.
‘I’ve seen the crime. I’ve seen it, because he videotaped it, and he broadcast it on YouTube and it’s disgusting. It’s absolutely disgusting. It’s juvenile, it’s puerile, it’s deeply troubling, but it’s bailable,’ she added.
‘Anybody who thinks what I saw in the video was funny is definitely in need of mental health care, definitely.’
The charge he pleaded guilty to can result in a prison sentence of up to five years.
A lawyer at his hearing in May said it was more likely any prison sentence would be measured in months rather than years.
Google Removes ‘Don’t Be Evil’ Clause From Its Code of Conduct
Google’s unofficial motto has long been the simple phrase “don’t be evil.” But that’s over, according to the code of conduct that Google distributes to its employees. The phrase was removed sometime in late April or early May, archives hosted by the Wayback Machine show.
“Don’t be evil” has been part of the company’s corporate code of conduct since 2000. When Google was reorganized under a new parent company, Alphabet, in 2015, Alphabet assumed a slightly adjusted version of the motto, “do the right thing.” However, Google retained its original “don’t be evil” language until the past several weeks. The phrase has been deeply incorporated into Google’s company culture—so much so that a version of the phrase has served as the wifi password on the shuttles that Google uses to ferry its employees to its Mountain View headquarters, sources told Gizmodo.
Here’s the relevant section of the old code of conduct, as archived by the Wayback Machine on April 21, 2018:
“Don’t be evil.” Googlers generally apply those words to how we serve our users. But “Don’t be evil” is much more than that. Yes, it’s about providing our users unbiased access to information, focusing on their needs and giving them the best products and services that we can. But it’s also about doing the right thing more generally – following the law, acting honorably, and treating co-workers with courtesy and respect.
The Google Code of Conduct is one of the ways we put “Don’t be evil” into practice. It’s built around the recognition that everything we do in connection with our work at Google will be, and should be, measured against the highest possible standards of ethical business conduct. We set the bar that high for practical as well as aspirational reasons: Our commitment to the highest standards helps us hire great people, build great products, and attract loyal users. Trust and mutual respect among employees and users are the foundation of our success, and they are something we need to earn every day.
So please do read the Code, and follow both its spirit and letter, always bearing in mind that each of us has a personal responsibility to incorporate, and to encourage other Googlers to incorporate, the principles of the Code into our work. And if you have a question or ever think that one of your fellow Googlers or the company as a whole may be falling short of our commitment, don’t be silent. We want – and need – to hear from you.
The Future of Protection (Episode 2)Everything We Know About the Mass Shooting Video Screened at Trump’s Miami ResortHoney Bees ‘Scream’ Like Mammals When Attacked by Giant HornetsRIP Dean Stockwell, Quantum Leap’s Beloved Al
Google Declares Victory for HTTPS in Chrome 69 [Nice]Some New Tesla Cars Are Reportedly Showing Up Without USB Ports, Only HolesApple to Pay Store Workers $30 Million Settlement for Bag Checks That Occurred Off the Clock
And here’s the updated version, first archived by the Wayback Machine on May 4, 2018:
The Google Code of Conduct is one of the ways we put Google’s values into practice. It’s built around the recognition that everything we do in connection with our work at Google will be, and should be, measured against the highest possible standards of ethical business conduct. We set the bar that high for practical as well as aspirational reasons: Our commitment to the highest standards helps us hire great people, build great products, and attract loyal users. Respect for our users, for the opportunity, and for each other are foundational to our success, and are something we need to support every day.
So please do read the Code and Google’s values, and follow both in spirit and letter, always bearing in mind that each of us has a personal responsibility to incorporate, and to encourage other Googlers to incorporate, the principles of the Code and values into our work. And if you have a question or ever think that one of your fellow Googlers or the company as a whole may be falling short of our commitment, don’t be silent. We want – and need – to hear from you.
Despite this significant change, Google’s code of conduct says it has not been updated since April 5, 2018.
The updated version of Google’s code of conduct still retains one reference to the company’s unofficial motto—the final line of the document is still: “And remember… don’t be evil, and if you see something that you think isn’t right – speak up!”
We’ve reached out to Google for comment on this change and will update this story if we hear back.